[Mikrotik] rOS v6.1 and Router Outbound IP Address

Rory McCann rmm.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 13:17:33 CDT 2013

Has something changed recently in routerOS v6.x that involves how the
router chooses its IP address for outbound (router to internet or router
to router) connectivity?

In the past, the router would always choose the first public IP address
listed in the terminal for its outbound communications. In v6.1 (which I
installed to utilize untagged VLAN support) I've noticed that it appears
to be choosing the lowest integer IP rather than the first assigned.

Eg: I have a router with 10.10.10.1 and 10.10.10.10 assigned to it.
10.10.10.10 was the first one programmed and my "preferred" router
communication IP for IPSec, EoIP, etc.

Upon reboot, the router starts talking on 10.10.10.1 instead of
10.10.10.10. I have to remove and re-add the IP in order to change this
behavior. Upon reboot it again chooses 10.10.10.1.

Are there some new firewall/NAT rules that affect this behavior or a
setting somewhere or is this some kind of obscure bug?

--
Rory McCann
Minn-Kota Ag Products
P: 701-403-4877 | E: rory at mkap.com