[Mikrotik] ssh attempts from public space to private address

Blake Covarrubias blake at beamspeed.com
Wed Jul 25 14:09:14 CDT 2012

On Jul 25, 2012, at 12:00 PM, Ty Featherling wrote:

> This is my primary DHCP server. It currently handles our entire network
> except for the handful of sites I have routed now. I had some trouble when
> I initially set it up and found that adding a public address to the
> interface that is within the network it is handing out addresses for solved
> it. As a result I have several public IPs assigned to this interface. Is
> this necessary? Somehow I doubt it but couldn't get it going otherwise and
> was in a crunch to do so.

DHCP relaying. Setup your other routers to forward DHCP requests to the MikroTik DHCP server.

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP/DHCP_Relay

If you're using Cisco routers you can accomplish the same with "ip helper-address x.x.x.x" under your customer-facing interface's configuration.

--
Blake Covarrubias