[Mikrotik] 802.11n vs 802.11a

Mike Hammett butch-mikrotik at ics-il.net
Tue Apr 24 10:43:03 CDT 2012

Wouldn't multipath be *better* for N?

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions
http://www.ics-il.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Larsen - Lists" <lists at manageisp.com>
To: "Mikrotik discussions" <mikrotik at mail.butchevans.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 10:25:15 AM
Subject: [Mikrotik] 802.11n vs 802.11a

We are finding out that 802.11n links do some weird things when they get
over 25 miles.They will run 70meg and then drop to 5 even though the
signals and other RF conditions have not changed.As you can imagine,
this makes latency go all over the place.We found that by setting them
to 802.11a mode, we can get them to carry 30meg consistently with a much
narrower range of latency results.    This is reflected in much higher
CCQ% on the 802.11a links vs the 802.11n links.   Also seems like
Nstreme (not NV2) with a framer policy of 'none' and CSMA disabled is
the most stable setup.

Just thought some folks might find this useful.   Butch has said that
some of our 802.11n problems may have had to do with multipath.    YMMV.

Matt Larsen
vistabeam.com