[Mikrotik] 450G question

john john at rcsaccess.net
Thu Mar 24 13:32:34 CDT 2011

On 3/24/2011 1:25 PM, Scott Lambert wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 01:29:46PM -0400, Josh Luthman wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 1:25 PM, john<john at rcsaccess.net>  wrote:
>>> I have been having a weird problem with 450G routers.  They seem to
>>> not reboot when you tell it to reboot in the software.  You have
>>> to Hard Boot it.  The lights go off and it just sits there.  All
>>> but the Blue light.  I have one that I just got out of the box and
>>> upgraded it to 4.17. the first reboot went well.  I did a reboot to
>>> upgrade firmware and it happened.  We mainly use POE Power supplies
>>> that run 24i.  Anyone else has any problems with certain power
>>> supplies or this problem?
>>>
>> I have not seen that with any MT at all.
>>
>> Plug in a serial console and see where it hangs.  Ultimately I would
>> just end up with a comfortable version of MT that works (to each their
>> own).  Be absolutely sure you update the firmware!!!  That is /sys
>> routerb pr and up
> That is the part that blows up.  The OS upgrade goes smoothly.  Then
> you see that there is a routerboard firmware upgrad and you have
> to power cycle the board when it still hasn't come back 5 minutes
> later.  I've seen that about 2 or 3 RB-450Gs when upgrading from
> 2.28 to 2.29.  I think I have 5 or 6 of the RB-450Gs.  When it
> happens on the bench, I don't care.  One happenned in the field.
> That wasn't good.
>
> I have 3 RB-493Gs and, if I remember correctly, one of them had to
> be power cycled.
>
> Also, during Dennis' training class in Salt Lake, I had the same
> issue with the RB-433 I was using.
>
> On all of those, I was upgrading to 4.16 from various 4.11 or earlier
> loads, whatever was preloaded on the board when they arrived here.
>
> I've not seen it happen on my 5 RB-750Gs.
>
> On all of these platforms, my sample sizes are too small to say x%
> fail to reboot successfully after a firmware upgrade.

I just hooked up a serial cable to the router board 4450G and rebooted
about 10 times and it says "rebooting . . ."
"Stopping services . . . " and just sits there. Its pretty random i had
it happen back to back already.  i have never programmed anything on
this board.

--
John Babineaux
Network Admin