[Mikrotik] mssql client dragging over 4.16 l2tp

corey freeman corey at freephoenix.net
Wed Mar 23 16:21:20 CDT 2011

Main office is fiber via a local telco as well as the working remote.
The remaining two offices are on Cox cable.

Remotes are routing to main office network for rdp/email/client
apps/printing, etc.
"Normal" internet traffic works great everywhere.

I initially had an issue with traversing cox's network with pptp
connections.  They would build up fine and ping ok, but whenever you
ran any traffic it would slow down to 1-2k.  Switched them to l2tp and
now I'm running 12mb down/5mb up from each of the remaining two
locations.   I did just notice that the bandwidth test had problems
running a 'send'  tcp test.  Wouldn't connect for the first dozen
times I tried it.

In the process of troubleshooting the pptp links over Cox, the mtu and
mru was dropped to 1450.  Any higher and I started dropping pings and
bandwidth suffered greatly.

I think I've narrowed down the issue to two possibilities.  1. I have
an isp that's over agressively qos my traffic. (either the fiber
telco, or Cox)  2. I have a configuration issue on my equipment.
I'm going to have a hard time nailing down #1 if that's the issue.
#2.  I'm ready to have a second set of eyes on the config and setup
and let me know what's up.

Corey