[Mikrotik] mssql client dragging over 4.16 l2tp

Butch Evans butche at butchevans.com
Wed Mar 23 14:57:45 CDT 2011

On 03/22/2011 10:20 PM, Corey Freeman wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> BUTCH: I'm trying not to go into too much detail in case I'm breaking some
> list rules..
No worries.  This is an appropriate discussion.

> If someone can help off-list, please let me know.  I'm not necessarily
> looking for free help.

I can assist if needed, but may be able to help here, too.
> I have 3 remote offices connecting back to a main office.  All are rb750 or
> 450g, 4.16.  All connections are 20mb/5mb or faster (60/15 at main office).
>

> I'm trying to troubleshoot a client application that is heavy SQL based, and
> I'm somewhat stuck.  One of the remote offices is on the same isp as the
> main office, and clients there are having no issues.
> When the app loads, it's repeatedly requesting (and receiving) information
> from the server, but is not acknowledging it.
> I'm expecting to find some sort of MTU issue or other PPP setting affecting
> the traffic.  So that's why I'm posting this here.
> I can supply configs as well as a wireshark capture of the client.

I am guessing that you have a main office that is connected with dsl?
To that main office, you have 3 remote offices connected via l2tp, 1 of
which uses the same ISP as the main office (you stated that last part)
and is connected via dsl as well.  How are the remote offices connected
to the internet?  Does "normal" internet traffic run well on all
locations?  Is the l2tp being used to bridge the offices together, or is
it routed?

* Butch Evans                   * Professional Network Consultation*
* http://www.butchevans.com/    * Network Engineering              *
* http://store.wispgear.net/    * Wired or Wireless Networks       *
* http://blog.butchevans.com/   * ImageStream, Mikrotik and MORE!  *
*                NOTE THE NEW PHONE NUMBER: 702-537-0979           *