[Mikrotik] Radius MAC Authentication with both DHCP and static IPs

Butch Evans butche at butchevans.com
Wed Mar 16 19:20:06 CDT 2011

On 03/16/2011 03:23 PM, Jim Rice wrote:
> 1. Configure dynamic clients in radius to get a radius
>> reply that includes the "ip-pool" attribute
> I could not find an "ip-pool" attribute in the radius dictionary.
> Is this something I will need to add as a custom attribute to radius,
> and if so, will the MikroTik act upon it?
Umm.  My mistake.  It is "Framed-Pool".  This is a standard radius
attribute.

>> 2. Configure clients with static IP addresses to get the
>> "framed-ip-address" attribute (I think that's the right
>> one)
> We can supply this if an Access-Request is generated.
> I will test this with the Wireless setup.
This attribute will only be used for DHCP requests.  Wireless mac auth
via radius will ignore this reply attribute.
>> All 3 of the above can include a rate-limit attribute of
>> whatever is appropriate for the customer.  You would
>> have to configure the "static" clients to get an IP from the
>> DHCP server, but you will always be providing them with the
>> SAME IP (static lease) via the framed-ip-address
>> attribute.  (...)
> This sounds like we HAVE to use DHCP in order to generate the request for the "static" devices?  Or is this a choice?

Unless you use hotspot, this is correct.

* Butch Evans                   * Professional Network Consultation*
* http://www.butchevans.com/    * Network Engineering              *
* http://store.wispgear.net/    * Wired or Wireless Networks       *
* http://blog.butchevans.com/   * ImageStream, Mikrotik and MORE!  *
*                NOTE THE NEW PHONE NUMBER: 702-537-0979           *