[Mikrotik] Fiber card for MT- REPORT OF THE OUTCOME

rwf ralphlists at bsrg.org
Sat Mar 5 21:42:58 CST 2011

This is what we are doing, Rick-

We decided to begin offering Metro Ethernet as well as wireless in our
market.

The Metro E drop in our data center was only available as a fiber
connection.
The Internet connection is currently a 1 Gb Ethernet, so we needed something
to mate them.
We were thinking about just using a media converter, but really wanted an
"Edge Router" here.
So I decided to try the MT and came across this fiber card.  The MT is
loaded on a Dell SC1425 (I think that's what it is)

Currently we have only one other drop on the Metro E, so we didn't need the
router part yet.
The drop is going to a City Hall in another town and feeds their Municipal
WiFi network (which we also installed and maintain).

It is pretty awesome. The ping time from the router at the remote customer
to the Internet at our Data Center is 2 mS!
The speed test (to Speedtest.net) is 49 Mb/S each way.

We can now offer high speed service (via fiber) to almost any address in our
metro area.

I posted a different message about carving up a /24.
That doesn't have anything to do with this- it is another location where we
have 100 Mb Cogent fiber in a building and a Rocket Dish on the roof sending
the bandwidth to our main tower far outside Cogent's service area.
It is nice to get that bandwidth out there, because with the roof rent and
the Cogent, it is still comes to only 15.00 per Mb.

Now if we could only get a decent sales guy to sell it!  Anyone need a job?

Ralph