[Mikrotik] RBxxx switch or hub?

Butch Evans butche at butchevans.com
Wed Mar 2 11:29:01 CST 2011

On 03/01/2011 07:56 PM, Bill Prince wrote:
> This question came up a few weeks ago in the midst of a discussion
> about the RB493/450 etc.
>
> Someone (I don't remember who) asserted that when using the built-in
> switch capabilities of these routerboards, that the actual function is
> like a hub, not a switch.
>
> Anybody know for a fact that this is the case?
>
> What about the RBs that are actually supposed to be a switch (e.g.
> RB250)?
>
> Would be a shame if they really are acting as hubs.

The RB250 is DEFINITELY a switch.  I have not tried the 400 series
devices, but you can rest assured that the 250 is a switch.

* Butch Evans                   * Professional Network Consultation*
* http://www.butchevans.com/    * Network Engineering              *
* http://store.wispgear.net/    * Wired or Wireless Networks       *
* http://blog.butchevans.com/   * ImageStream, Mikrotik and MORE!  *
*                NOTE THE NEW PHONE NUMBER: 702-537-0979           *