[Mikrotik] PPPoE help

Matt Larsen - Lists lists at manageisp.com
Wed Sep 1 17:24:33 CDT 2010

  Here is my network structure:

NAT router at the core
10.x.x.x/8 for the backhauls
192.168.x.x/24 for the IPs of customer devices and CPE radios at each AP
public IPs routed to the APs as needed
all CPEs run in bridge mode, due to the need to not double NAT VOIP
devices at the customer side

This is a common setup that has worked very well for my network and
connected WISPs that we help manage (3000 customers) and my consulting
clients.   I don't use public IPs on the customer side (except for those
who specifically pay for or request it) so that we have flexibility in
our choice of backhaul providers.   My phone and network techs are well
versed in dealing with this setup and I'm not going to make any major
architecture changes in it.

The network I am inheriting is bridged between the towers, with RB450s
at the towers routing to the different APs on their ethernet ports and
customers using PPPoE to connect to the 450s at the base of the
towers.   I will be replacing the current backhaul radios (Rocket Ms)
with RB433AHs that will be routing instead of bridging.   The Proxim APs
will be replaced with StarOS and MT APs that have 10.x.x.x IPs on the
ethernet side and 192.168.x.x IPs on the wireless side and the RB450s
will be removed or repurposed as routers for the bridging backhauls
(Ubiquiti and Tranzeos) until those backhauls can be replaced with
Mikrotiks.

The one question that I have not been able to figure out is whether an
MT with PPPoE on the ethernet interface can have a regular IP bound to
it as well that is not related to the PPPoE.   If I can do that, I
believe I can smoothly transition the customers over to the regular IP
scheme.  If not, well that sucks.

Matt Larsen
vistabeam.com