[Mikrotik] Dude remote probes

Butch Evans butche at butchevans.com
Mon Aug 31 23:40:54 CDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-08-30 at 20:21 -0400, Ralph wrote:
> I get that now.
> But please answer me this- In what case would I have to install Dude on the
> remote router boards?
> I guess I am missing the point of why one would want to.

There are several possible reasons.  As Josh suggested, the ability to
reach those remote networks directly for monitoring is an option.  The
downside to that approach is that all of your monitoring traffic will
have to travel over the tunnel, using some part of the Internet pipe
feeding the site.  That may not be significant, depending on the size of
the various remote networks.  Another downside is that you will have to
ensure that all of your remote networks use coordinated IP schemes.  In
other words, if you use 192.168.100.0/24 on one site, you cannot use
that same network on another network or you will only be able to monitor
one of the two networks.  For some administrators, this will not be a
problem, either.

* Butch Evans                   * Professional Network Consultation*
* http://www.butchevans.com/    * Network Engineering              *
* http://www.wispa.org/         * Wired or Wireless Networks       *
* http://blog.butchevans.com/   * ImageStream, Mikrotik and MORE!  *