[Mikrotik] Combining 3 APs PPPoE servers

Mark McElvy MMcElvy at AccuBak.com
Thu Aug 27 11:51:16 CDT 2009

My AP's are setup similar with the PPPoE server on each AP but they
authenticate against a Central RADIUS server managed by Freeside.

Mark McElvy
AccuBak Data Systems, Inc.
573.729.9200 - Office

-----Original Message-----
From: mikrotik-bounces at mail.butchevans.com
[mailto:mikrotik-bounces at mail.butchevans.com] On Behalf Of Josh Luthman
Sent: Thursday, August 27, 2009 11:39 AM
To: Mikrotik discussions
Subject: [Mikrotik] Combining 3 APs PPPoE servers

I have three APs on 120 sectors.  Each are the same wireless config,
short
of different SSIDs.  Each AP has its own PPPoE server and hence
database.  I
would like to combine these for simplicity in creating users and
redundancy
should a customer see two APs.  The three APs go into my bridged
backbone
through a 493ah "switch".  Note the hpol Pac antennas up there seem
awfully
wide as most if not all stations off these APs not only see a second AP,
but
see it at near the same RSSI.

I was thinking about creating a new bridge on the 493ah for those 3
ports
(for the 3 APs) and putting the PPPoE server on there or add another
routerboard at the base but I wanted to see if there was a clever idea
about
combining the three before making these changes.

I believe with my idea I just need to simply add ether1 to the bridge
interface (as the wlan1 is in bridge1 for WDS capability) then do the
work
at the switch level making it a painless transition - maybe seemingly
instant.

Josh Luthman
Office: 937-552-2340
Direct: 937-552-2343
1100 Wayne St
Suite 1337
Troy, OH 45373

"When you have eliminated the impossible, that which remains, however
improbable, must be the truth."
--- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle