[Mikrotik] Mikrotik Sniffing the Bridge

cyberdoc cyberdoc at astro.cmreynolds.org
Sun Jan 20 22:26:35 CST 2008

Hello,

We are running a Mikrotik Bandwidth Control Unit (BCU) in a bridge mode,
using simple queues to control the traffic management.  Our customers
have a variety of pricing plans, and the BCU enforces the bandwidth.  We
are running a Pentium III 800 MHz with Mikrotik OS 2.9.5x installed.
The unit has three ethernet cards installed -- one for the tower, the
other to the backhauls, and the third for administrative use.

Is there an easy way that I can configure the BCU to pump out the
traffic on the bridge to the third network card?  I would like to be
able to sniff this data, perhaps sending it to a SNORT box for review,
or to NTOP to research the traffic on the network, or to Ethereal for
packet inspection.

Right now, I have the third card tied to the bridge, but I am not seeing
a replica of the traffic that the other two cards are passing.

I do have a test network available to try out your suggestions, and I
will be most happy to report our success or failure.

Thanks,

Christian